Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Welcome to Europe

Hello All! 
I hope this post finds everyone well. I must confess that this is a new experience for me. I mean the idea of a blog in which everyone can actually see what is going on in my life? Awesome. The wonders of technology. 
I am going to try and keep at least a weekly/bi-weekly deal, especially with the writings about how I am doing in Europe. Hopefully that way I won't interrupt busy lives with useless posts about how terrible the chiefs will be this season. And I will also try and keep the European stuff under the same title. That way, everyone can get to it really easy and keep track of what is going on from the very beginning. This is such an exciting opportunity. 
Couple of ground rules/house keeping stuff
1) I love you all. Thanks for all the wonderful support. I know the prayers helped immensely. (more to come on that later) Please keep me in your thoughts and continue to give me support, it helps out more than you will ever know! 
 
2) Steven. DO NOT take all my stuff to Mizzou. I swear if I come back and my wardrobe is cleared out, I am personally coming down to Columbia to have words. (j/k- take all you want)
3) Mom, PLEASE, PLEASE do not edit this... I will try to keep mistakes to a minimum. I promise. (J/K- please edit it if you feel the need, I will be editing the entire time anyway) 
4) I haven't really figured out the posting for you all yet, so I don't think that I will pay attention to that too much. No offense to you all, but I don't think I would keep too much track of the comments on my post. If you really want to get a hold of me, please send me an email. I check that way more often, and am more likely to respond. The purpose of this is to just fill people in. Which is what I now intend to do:
The beginning... (Epic Hero Music- I am thinking Star Wars) 
First things first. The flights went really well. I left the States around 9:15PM. I was able to  make all of my connections and arrived in Bamberg shortly after 10:00 PM here... (I am about seven hours ahead over here, so about 3:00 PM (CST) in the states) Anyways, the flights were really good, especially the one from St. Paul to Amsterdam. My mom and my brother wrote me letters which really spoke to me at that exact moment. Steven, at 3 Am this morning on the flight, I laughed out loud at some of the quotations you put into the letter. Fantastic. And Mom, I can't tell you how appreciative of I was of your encouraging words. Really, nothing to exciting happened until I got of the plane in Nuremberg. You know, you never really realize how little you know until your staring at a map of Nuremberg, in German mind you, wondering how the heck your supposed to get from the "Fluegzeugan (sp?) to the main train station and catch the main train to Bamberg.  At that exact moment, every fear and doubt about this trip came rushing to the forefront of my mind. Those constant whispers from the evil one saying "your not good enough" and "time to give up" were really starting to gain a footing. And to be honest, I was scared to death. I kept thinking to myself. "What am I supposed to do now? What if I am not good enough?" I was literally frozen with fear and it took a small act of God to get me moving again.  Well I did it, but not without the help of some great and wonderful people.
Tonight could have been a lot worse for me. However, (and this is how I know God is real) the people praying for me and sending me their support was an absolute blessing because at every instance when I was about ready to lose it and go into full-fledged panic mode, God sent someone or something to remind me of his power and glory. In Nuremberg, something made me calm down and think clearly. I asked myself- what would Jesus do in this situation. I know that seems corny sometimes, but literally it became clear. I knew I had to rely on the kindness of Germany. With that thought in my head, for the first time, I noticed directions to an information booth where two lovely women helped me get situated and on the right track... literally... to get to the Nuremberg train station. They even helped me understand what train I needed to get on. It was awesome. But it doesn't stop there, I get of the subway at the train station and am trying to find my train to Bamberg, when an older gentlemen asks me if I speak English and directs me to the right place. Just to let everyone, know, he came up to me. (I am thinking the look of panic came back and at that exact moment, God sent an angel to direct me).  I make it to Bamberg and literally take twenty minutes to decide whether or not I should risk the base or go directly to hotel. Problem was, I didn't know where the hotel was, and I was having a heck of a time figuring it all out on my own. I decided to catch a cab to the main gate of the American base, only to end up having my cab leave me (forgot to tell him to wait, should have done that) and being denied access to the base, because no one was there to check me in. God, for the third time that day intervenes. Just as they were suggesting where I should go and while I was asking if it was in walking distance (a difficult task carrying my luggage), a cab comes from out of the base. The driver not only takes me to the hotel,  but makes sure that I have a room for the evening. He even waited to make sure I got into the hotel okay.  It was incredible. I find my room and literally fell asleep within minutes. 
It was such an incredible and humbling experience being lost and alone in Germany. Frankly, I could only rely on God and when I completely did that, he completely took control. I know he is with me because even this morning, when I woke at 4:30 in the morning and was feeling homesick, I was able to get a hold of my dad and was able to tell my family that I was safe. That made me feel way better,  And at near 10:00 when Dad should have been in bed, he sat on the phone an extra five minutes in order to give me that boost of confidence that I needed to make it through this day. Thank you for that Dad. Those extra minutes helped me regain composure and look at the challenges and opportunities awaiting me. It meant a heck of a lot to me. 
It means a heck of a lot to me that my family and friends have been so supporting as well. The prayers and support sent to me were so incredibly awesome. Thank you all so much and please continue it for me. 
Well, I think that that about wraps it up. Hopefully today, I will be able to get on base and into my apartment and find some food at some point :) I miss and love you all.  Please keep in touch!  
Email- rns733@gmail.com 
Base Address to Come Soon