I hope everyone who is wanting to read this is getting a chance too. It has been quite the transition here in Germany, and I am still not officially moved into an apartment yet. Kind of a big bummer. Oh well, I am sure that it will happen soon. I am trying to keep positive.
Friday and Saturday I toured around Bamberg to try and familiarize myself with the city. And so far, I think I have done an O.K. job. I now know where a bunch of famous landmarks are and a bunch of really good beir gartens... and yes that is the correct spelling. I haven't sampled them all yet, but hopefully we will get to as the semester passes on. I am still trying to accustom myself to all of the wurst... if you know what I mean. The german people sure do like their sausage. Also pretty neat to talk about, there was a blues and jazz festival this entire week in the downtown area and I went to listen to some songs. Apparently Jazz and Blues includes Mariachi Bands.. I think someone needs to remind the Germans about what Blues and Jazz really are. Also, I had a small victory the other day, I was able to find a grocery store and buy some fresh fruit, always positive. I know you were all worried about wether or not I was going to be able to find my way to food... don't worry. It took no time whatsoever. On Saturday, I actually went downtown by myself and tried to get lost and find my way back to the bus station. It worked and I did.. on all accounts. It was kind of stressful, but kind of fun too. Apparently there is a castle around here somewhere, I am going to find it and explore it. That is the goal for this weekend.
We start staff in-service this week, really exciting. I get to meet my teacher for the first time this Monday. I am also going to help out with the football team (American) and coach, at least for as long as it doesn't interfere with my studies. For those of you who don't know, I coached soccer for a long time in Kirksville and absolutely loved it. So I am hoping that this will be a great experience for me too. School starts sometime next week, so keep me in your prayers as I get headed into the first day of school.
I have been having some struggles with the adjustment of Germany, but I want to let you all know that I feel like this is going to change me in a way I could never understand. This morning was especially tough, and sleep hasn't been easy. But today I was led to the story of Jonah. And I know that when I had read it before, it was always about the big fish eating Jonah, and I never paid attention to the rest of the story. Basically Jonah, ignores the call of God, God smacks him around, and Jonah goes to do great things. And after being smacked around, I am now realizing that I have had to rely on God more than ever, and he is definitely challenging me to become the best person I can possibly be. Your continued prayer and support is greatly appreciated. Thanks for keeping me in your thoughts. Email is greatly encouraged! And as soon as I get an address, I will let you all know. I love you all!
Robert
1 comment:
Good to see you last Sunday and pleased to read about your getting settled in Germany.
Post a Comment