So, this past week has been challenging. But I am learning a lot about who I am and who I need to become. :) I know this tends to be the continuous theme, but, God is really rocking my life right now. And I am all for that type of continuous theme. I have been just praying to him so hard lately, and I am getting the reassurance I need. However, I would like to ask for specifc prayers of physical protection.
I am working really hard in school, and am up to 14 hours a day in the classroom just trying to fix everything and make sure that all of my stuff is ready to go. It is really frustrating and it is really rewarding too. I am working to bring my kids the best lessons possible. My biggest struggle has been with the Psychology class, so... that has been quite interesting. But, I am now getting into stuff that I understand more, and Mom sent me some stuff that is definitely going to help, so that is relieved some of my stress. I am going to ask that you continue to pray for me, as my stress level is climbing. And I thank you all so much for that.
School has been, well rather interesting. I am trying to understand and work through my research project, but my kids don't really seem to care about whether or not they are learning. And as far as taking responsibilities for assignments and projects and quizzes.. None. It is almost as if they expect learning to take place from me to them. Amazingly, some of my students don't understand the idea that if they turn all their work in, it doesn't automatically qualify them for an A. Umm.. hello.... you turned in crap work. I mean it would have been better for you to just put your name on the piece of paper and leave the rest of it blank. That isn't even the best part though, after I tell them there grade and they ask me why it is so low even when they had turned everything in, I explain to them that there grade has not been quality. THey then get frustrated with me like it was my fault for their grade. Weird. Parent teacher conferences are this week, and I expect some upset parents coming and talking to me, especially once grades are mailed home. It so funny too, because I tell my class, turn something in. I can't give you a grade if you don't give me something. And still they turn in nothing, and to top it off, they then expect me to give them make up work or extra credit.. NOT happening :D
On a positive note, my research continues to go well, and I think my kids are really enjoying the kinesthetic movement lessons. I know that they are more excited about that is for sure. Today for example, I had taught the difference between social classes by teaching the proper upper class line dance, followed by the polka, a social dance typically known for the lower classes. It was awesome! I think my kids really understood what concept I was trying to get across, and I think also they just love getting up and moving around. I hope that my project turns out well. It is going to be kind of intense these next couple of weeks :)
So, I went to Munich this past weekend and walked everywhere. We went to Olympic Park and Allianz Arena. And it was awesome. I am pretty sure that just by standing in the same place where Mark Spitz won his seven gold medals, that I automatically became a better swimmer. We tried to be as pro-American in that building as possible and I don't know if our German counterpart were too happy with that. I mean it has to be pretty embarrassing to get your butt kicked in every major swimming event by the same guy. After Olympic Park, we went to the BMW museum, and saw some really expensive cars something like... oh... 85,000 EUROS. You know something I could totally afford on a teacher's salary... Afterwards we chilled and watched a soccer game in a sports pub which was an awesome time.
On Sunday, we made our way to Dacchu and it was one of the more sobering experiences that I have had in a while. We basically made our way through the concentration camp and I couldn't count the number of time I was blown away by what happened. I mean some of the thing done to the Jewish and Russian prisoners were just plain sickening. Just to give you somewhat an idea of what was going on there, the camp was built to only hold 6000 "prisoners" nearly 300,000 went through Dacchu to different camps. When it was liberated, U.S. troops were shocked to find nearly 30,000 prisoners living in this confinement. I took a lot of pictures that I hope to use in my classroom in the future, but I couldn't believe some of the stuff that was being done.
On a lighter note, I have finally realized how much I hate Doners (Dooners). Doner are basically a stuffed sandwich. You would think this would be a prized food, but I am so sick of this stuffed half sandwiches. Well hate might be a strong word, and I keep eating them in hopes that I will someday find one that I enjoy immensely. Haven't found that yet. They are freaking terrible. And its funny because now my roommates make fun of me for it, but I am sorry, I can only take so much more of these. My new mission is to try and find a new German based food and see if that doesn't change my idea. So far not good. :)
Please keep in your prayers! Specifically for God to physical protect me :) I miss you and love you all! And I will continue to keep you in my prayers. I will leave you with pictures from Munich... USA! USA!
1 comment:
I love reading about your experiences in Germany and in the classroom! I hope you are having a wonderful time! Hang in there when it get tough, God has great things planned for you. I'm praying for you! :)
Post a Comment